You will interact with the children everyday in many ways. These children can battle with problems or emotions.
You will work in a team. This situation demands a good attitude to work and live together.
The problems children can battle with:
- HIV/Aids and other diseases
- Death of family, friends or parents
- Poverty and lack of hygiene
- Teenage pregnancy
- Lack of education
- Sexual abuse
- Problems with friends and family
- Problems with parent or foster parent involvement
- Want of needs as food, school uniform. school fees, schoolbooks, winter clothes etc.
Conditions for good teamwork:
- High commitment
- Positive motivation
- Feeling of empathy with the problems of the children
- Good care of the entrusted children
- Cultural empathy for Namibian traditions
- Cooperation with the other volunteers
- Acceptance for the foreign life and culture
- Thoughtfulness for the family where you live
- Compliance with the rules in the family where you live
We must have the patience to counsel and understand the child. Support the children to recognise themselves and their strengths. It is a process that is based on clear principles with rules and limits. That helps them to find their own solution.